Popeye's Spicy Chicken Recipe
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot red pepper sauce
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 quart buttermilk (optional)
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- peanut oil, for frying
2. In a large bowl, add eggs, water, and red pepper sauce. Whisk until combined.
3. In a large gallon freezer bag, mix flour, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
4. Remove chicken from buttermilk (if marinated) and sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
5. Place all chicken pieces in freezer bag with flour mixture. Shake until all pieces are evenly coated.
6. Remove chicken pieces one at a time, shaking excess flour. Dip each piece in the egg mixture, and return to bag of flour. After all pieces of been dipped in the egg mixture and put back in the bag, give it a second shake to coat chicken pieces again.
7. Heat oil in deep fryer or deep pan to 350 degrees. Working in batches, drop each piece of chicken into the hot oil. Fry for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown, turning occasionally if oil does not completely cover chicken. Keep in mind that dark meat chicken takes longer to cook than white meat. Watch your wing segments, as well; these will finish cooking first.