OYAKO DONBURI - A TRADITIONAL JAPANESE DISH
Jo Anne Sugimoto
Oyako means - mother and child, so goes to say, chicken and egg.
Donburi means - rice bowl.
So the dish literally means chicken and eggs in a bowl, served over hot rice.
The photo is not my own but to give you an idea of what is looks like. It's a bit much as you cannot see the hot rice below.
- 1/2 lb
- lean bite size chicken pieces
- 2 c
- dashi or chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- mirin - japanese sweet cooking wine
- 3 to 4 Tbsp
- small round onion, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5
- medium size shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 to 3
- medium size takenoko (bamboo shoots) optional
- green onion stalks, chopped
- 3 c
- hot rice