Mama's Cornbread and Chicken Casserole - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
My mother had a really nice collection of "wonderful down home cooking" recipes. And, this is one of my favorites!! This very moist casserole does not need gravy, but you may want some anyway for the mashed potatoes which is an excellent side dish.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 to 6
- chicken breast, boiled (reserve broth)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of celery soup
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
- 1 c
- chicken broth (reserved from cooking chicken)
- 1 stick
- margarine or butter, melted
- pan of corn bread (8 or 9-inch pan) recipe doesn't call for it, however, i add sliced celery and chopped onion to the cornbread batter before baking
- boiled eggs, chopped up, optional
NOTE 2: if cornbread is warm just add butter that is at room temperature to the warm crumbs and stir to combine.
NOTE 2: I made a 10-inch skillet of cornbread and took out 2 slices to serve with our meal.
NOTE: If you don't have cream of celery, use 2 cans of cream of chicken.