Jalapeno Popper Chicken Stuffed Shells
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 pkg
- jumbo shells cooked to half done, drained and rinsed with cold water. Cover and set aside.
- 2 lb
- ground chicken
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil or any oil you have on hand
- 8 oz
- cream cheese softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- small fresh jalapenos cleaned and seeded (more or less depending on your personal taste) i used the tam mild fresh from my garden since my peppers were late bloomers this year. if you don't want the heat i would take it down to 2 small
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese shredded or whatever you like
- 1 c
- Mexican blend shredded cheese or again what you like
- 16 oz
- jar of salsa. I used my home canned from my all my own garden veggies. so use whatever you like here, but my salsa is more to the runny or watery side so if using jarred from store i would add about 1/4 cup water to it and mix.
- sour cream
- diced green onions
FILLING FOR SHELLS
TOPPING FOR SHELLS
1Cook jumbo shells according to directions except remove them when half cooked. Rinse and drain then cover and set to the side.
2Filling: Add oil and chicken to frying pan and cook over med. to med high heat until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
3Remove chicken and any pan drippings to a bowl and add cream cheese mix well. Add diced jalapenos and 4 oz. of cheddar cheese, cumin and garlic and mix until combined.
4Get shells and start stuffing! If shells are sticky or dry rinse them again and then start filling them. Get them full without over doing it because this will cause the shells to break apart. Line stuffed shells opening up, into a 9x13 or larger baking dish. (You will have a few shells left over) Top with remaining 4 oz. of cheddar cheese. I put a little on each shell and push it into the filling a little.
5Place into 375 degree oven for 10 mins just to melt the cheese on the shells this will keep it from floating up when you top the dish with the salsa. Remove from oven and pour 16 oz. Salsa over all the shells and top with Mexican Blend cheese cover with foil and bake for 25 mins. Remove foil and bump heat up to 425 degrees for 10 minutes more. If you like a browner cheese like we do just broil it for a few minutes keeping close watch on it so it does not burn :)
6Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Top with Sour Cream and chopped Green Onions.