Hearty Chicken Soup & Dumpling Bake (no canned)
Thanks, Carla, for the inspiration!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- (half) the meat from a rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 c
- (half stick) butter, melted
- 1 large
- onion, diced
- 4-6 clove
- garlic, minced or pressed
- herbs: tarragon & savory is what i used, plus few shakes pepper
- (about 1 c.) shredded pumpkin (optional: could leave out or replace with other veggie: like thinly sliced carrot)
- (about 1 1/2 c.) peas
- 3-4 c
- chicken broth (i use "better than bullion" from costco)
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- italian seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, garlic)
DRY DUMPLING INGREDIENTS:
1Melt butter & pour into bottom of 9" x 13" pan. Spread with onion, garlic, herbs, a few shakes pepper, shredded pumpkin & frozen peas. Mix in 1 cup of broth. Top with chicken and more broth.
2Mix dry dumpling ingredients (or use 2 c. self-rising flour.) Stir in 1 cup of broth, and enough water to make a good dough (soft but not runny.)
3Plop dough by spoonfuls on top of casserole, then pour more chicken broth on top, wetting dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
4Bake uncovered at 410 degrees F, until the dumplings are nicely browned. Feel free to use the broiler to brown the tops, if it's taking too long.
Serve in bowls, spooning broth on top of dumplings.
It is kinda like chicken soup with tasty biscuits on top. I had shredded mozzarella out so people could sprinkle on top, but it was too tasty by itself, so no one tried the cheese.
I found it almost a little too salty, but everyone else said it was just right.