Carolina Barbecue Chicken Croquettes
I like to serve mine with my Cajun Gumbo'd Okra or even creamy homemade cheddar mashed potatoes.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 bottle
- carolina bbq sauce (your favorite brand)
- chicken thighs (use boneless, skinless if you can)
- 1 pkg
- white or brown rice
- 1/2 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can(s)
- diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 c
- red kidney beans, freshly boiled
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped garlic
- 1/2 stick
- salted cream butter
- 1 c
- dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- enough seasoned panko to coat croquettes
- enough water to top off the pot
- enough vegetable oil to fry
- optional seasoned salt to taste
1Place all ingredients (save panko) in a large lidded pot, top off with water until about 1in below the rim.
2Boil until rice is completely cooked.
3Scoop out chicken thighs, and shred chicken. Discard bones.
4Add shredded chicken back in pot, allow to thicken.
5Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
6When cool, form into balls or patties (need to use more vegetable oil if balls), coat with panko.
7In a medium high pan with enough oil to go half way for patties or submerge for balls, cook until amber brown. I cook about 4 at a time.
8Place on towel to drain, optionally salt with seasoned salt.
9Optionally serve with Cajun Gumbo'd Okra
The sweetness of the croquettes complements the spiciness of the okra.