Garden Fresh Tomato and Bacon Pie
Diane Hopson Smith
I've tweaked with some very minor changes.
I used my "100 Year Old Pie Crust" recipe that always makes any pie better. I used 1/2 of the ingredients for the pie crust. It made a very nice thick flakey crust.
100 Year Old Pie Crust Recipe - Dee Dee's
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- deep dish pie shell (i make the 100 Year Old Pie Crust Recipe - Dee Dee's, using 1/2 of the recipe)
- 1 1/2 to 2 c
- cheese, shredded i used parmesan, cheddar and swiss (a little more than 1/2 cup each) reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/2 c
- green onion,sliced (or you can used chopped onion of your choice)
- 3 to 4 c
- fresh tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 1 or 2 pinch
- dried oregano, more if desired
- 1 or 2 pinch
- dried basil, more if desired
- salt & pepper
- 6 to 8 slice
- bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 to 4 Tbsp
1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3Remove crust from oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
4Now add a layer of cheese, onion, and tomatoes to pie crust. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Continue layering until ingredients are gone except for 1/2 cup of cheese. I had 2 layers.
NOTE: Chop tomatoes and drain in a colander for at least 30 minutes before adding to pie. You can slice the tomatoes if desired. Use firm ripe tomatoes. You don’t want the pie to be juicy
5Combine the crumbled bacon, mayonnaise, and cheese: spread on top of the pie. NOTE: Add'l mayo may be needed but don’t go overboard. Sprinkle with extra cheese if desired.
6Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!