Mertzie's Spicy Steak Stir Fry
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- pound of steak (i like flat iron), -- bring to room temp & cut in thin strips
- oz. mushrooms, sliced
- small onion, cut into strips
- green pepper, cut into strips
- cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- tsps sesame oil + more for pan
- cup beef broth
- 4 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- rice vinegar
- heaping, of garlic chili paste (use more if you like it really spicy)
- 3 tsp
- dash of chinese 5-spice (if you don't have it, use some ginger if you wish)
- salt, ground black pepper,
1I like to have all my veggies chopped the night before or morning of to make it easy when I get home from work. Heat your wok or large fry pan to high. Add enough canola oil to cover bottom and add a splash of sesame oil. As this is heating....
2Whisk together the sauce (I just use a fork): sesame oil, soy, rice vinegar, chili garlic paste, and cornstarch. Make sure there are no cornstarch lumps. Set aside.
3Add your steak slices, onions and peppers to the pan. (I keep them separate for ease of flipping the steak pieces). Salt the peppers & onions lightly. When bottom of steak gets seared, toss to other side. Toss the onions & peppers frequently for a minute or two. As they get soft, add the mushrooms and toss. Then add the tomatoes, and toss everything together.
4Add beef broth a little at a time until you feel it is the right amount of liquid. Simmer for a minute or two, then add the soy mixture sauce. Add a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper. Add salt to your liking -- I don't need any.
5Coat evenly and once it all is covered & hot -- you are ready to dig in with a bowl of rice. Enjoy!