Slow Cooker Easy Beef Casserole
This recipe is very forgiving, you can change quantities to your preference or add ingredients you like.
This is a basic recipe that my family just loves with dumplings on top.
Any leftovers (unheard of in my family) also makes a delicious meat pie the next day: just line a pie dish (or ramekins for smaller amount) with pastry, spoon in the stew, sprinkle grated cheese on top and cover with pastry lid and bake. Voila! Another yummy meal to devour.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 kg
- stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced (use more if desired)
- carrots, roughly chopped
- celery ribs, roughly chopped
- medium or large potatoes, roughly chopped
- large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp
- each of salt and pepper
- 1/4 c
- 1 1/2 c
- beef stock/broth
- 1 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/2 tsp
- dried rosemary, i just like the flavour it adds
- 1 tsp
- paprika or cayenne pepper, i never add this because i always forget and its been to long to change our taste preferences now but you may like it :)
Low: 8-10 hours
High: 4-6 hours
My slow cooker seems to have a higher temperature than most recipes state so I generally cook my beef casserole for 8-9 hours and it is absolutely fall apart delicious. But it is even better when cooked longer!
The best setting to cook this stew on is low, the longer the better but you may have to make it a couple of times to figure out which works best for your slow cooker. Regardless, this stew always turns out wonderfully!
30 minutes before the stew is ready, if you want to thicken the gravy add a couple of tablespoons of cornflour mixed with water (I use the stock from the stew) and stir into the beef stew. Cover and allow to finish cooking.