SI, I AM A TAMALE PIE
Photo is my own.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- pounds of lean ground beef
- cups diced peppers, your choice
- 16 ounce jar roasted tomato salsa
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon chipotle pepper
- teaspoon oregano
- boxes jiffy corn muffin mix
- cup milk
- ounces cheddar cheese divided
- ounces jack cheese divided (or pepper jack for a kick)
- ounces frozen corn thawed. i use a well-drained can of mexicorn
- teaspoon garlic
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or 1/2 can green chilis, or red pepper flakes if you like more heat. this is a mild dish.
- small can drained sliced black olives
1Place a large skillet over medium heat, and add the beef and peppers. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat into small ppieces while it cooks. ONce the meat is in small pieces, add the salsa, salt, shipotle, and oregano. cook stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Continue to break up any larger pieces of beef as it simmers. Remove from heat,add the olives, and set aside. Skim any residual fat that comes to the surface.
2Lightly grease a 9 X 13 casserole dish. Mix up one of the boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix according to the package directions. and spread it evenly in the bottom of the dish. It will be a thin layer. Top with corn, and then half of the cheese. Spoon beef mixture evenly , and then press the layer of meat down lightly with your hands into the corn meal crust.
3Mix up the other box of Jiffy and fold in the remaining cheese into the batter. Spread the batter evenly down the middle, the length of the pan. Use a fork to spread it until the batter is almost touching the sides. Leave a narrow gap so the juices can bubble up around the edges.
4Place the casserole dish on a foil lined pan to catch any drips. Place the dish and the pan in the preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake one hour until lightly browned. Bake until done, but do not over cook or get it too brown. Let stand under a foil sheet for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and guacamole. Enjoy!
5Cook's Tip: This recipe seems to be pretty forgiving if you want to add some of your own seasonings. I usually season it this way for my family. You may like more heat!