My Chili, Handed Down from My Mom
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- (14.5 oz ) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ( 14.5 oz ) can hormel chili with beans
- 1/4 c
- ketchup ( my mom always turned her ketchup bottles upside down and used what was left, i do too, so can be a little more)
- large can tomato juice ( they come in the big can )
- medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp
- sweet basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
1In a large dutch oven, fry the ground beef and onions until meat is no longer pink and onions are clear. (Don't crumble the hamburger up too much as it is better to have chunks of the beef) Drain.
2Add all the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 mins. Stirring occasionally (Longer is better). Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each served bowl.
3This is even better the next day! Can freeze as well. This is more of a soup / chili. If cooked longer, can add more water if need be.
4When my children were young, I would serve theirs in their bowl, pour out some of the chili sauce and add water so it wasn't too spicy for them. They loved it! I don't have to do that anymore! My one daughter now adds hot sauce to this chili, she told me she tweaks my tweaked version to her taste for more spice!
5Important*** I serve this with a tall glass of milk and crackers with butter on them so you can dip them in the chili or some will scoop a spoonful on to the buttered cracker! My kids LOVED that! Thats how I ate it when I was a little girl and all of us still eat it that way today! Enjoy!!