Hearty Zucchini Casserole
I recently added variations, to the recipe, that might be enjoyed.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- cooking spray
- 3 medium
- zucchini, after cooked, half per layer
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- cooked beef and onion mixture, half per layer
- 1 1/2 c
- fresh corn, or 1 (15 oz.) canned corn, or 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 medium
- green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- water (optional)
- eggs, beaten
- 4 oz
- mild cheddar cheese, shredded, half per layer
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder, (optional) half per layer
- 1 can(s)
- (10 oz.) tomato soup (do not dilute), half per layer
- 1 c
- bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp
- melted butter
- as many sliced tomatoes needed to place the slices around the edge of the casserole or for the whole top, to replace tomato soup.
- option of garlic powder or garlic salt to sprinkle on tomato slices.
- may still use bread crumbs over them, if desired.
1Spray with cooking spray or grease a 9 x 13 in. baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2Wash and slice zucchini; do not peel. Slices should be about 1/4 in. thick. Precook in microwave oven, until mostly cooked. Let them cool.
3Meanwhile, spray skillet with cooking spray. Brown ground beef in a large skillet with the onion; drain off grease. Remove excess grease from skillet with paper towels. The hamburger can stay in the skillet, while wiping areas of grease away.
4If using canned corn, drain about half of the water away. The other corn is fine like it is, if you are using one of them, instead of canned. Put skillet with hamburger back on the burner and add corn & green bell pepper. Cook 5-8 mins., if mixture is too dry, add 2 Tbs. water & stir. Then, add beaten eggs. Stir mixture constantly, until eggs are set (cooked). Remove from heat.
5Shred the cheese. Or use, already shredded cheese from the store (not fine shred).
6In sprayed baking dish, add ingredients in layers: half of zucchini on the bottom, sprinkle with half the garlic powder, if using; salt and pepper to taste, if you like; then half of meat mixture, half of the soup--straight out of the can dropping in dollops, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
7Place bread crumbs in a small bowl, melt butter, pour butter over crumbs and stir to mix. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the casserole. OR, try one of the variations of sliced tomatoes, with or without garlic power or garlic salt. You may still use bread crumbs over them, if you like.
8Cook in preheated oven, for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit 5-10 minutes.