Hamburger Veggie Cassarole
The prep work is a little labor intensive, but the end results are worth it. And it keeps well for reheating.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- 4 medium
- potatoes washed and sliced thinly (i use slicer on the old fashioned graters)
- 2 - 3 large
- carrots, washed and sliced thinly (vegetable peeler works great for this)
- celery ribs, diced
- 2 small
- bell peppers, seeded, and julienned
- 1 medium
- onion sliced thinly into rings and seperated
- 1 1/2 c
- salsa (whatever heat you prefer)
- 1 1/2 c
- meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 c
- salt, pepper, tarragon, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, dried minced onions (all to taste)
PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 F
1grease a large baking dish (9 X 15) spread the sliced potatoes in a thin layer around the bottom of the pan then sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper
2spread the carrot slices on top of seasoned Potatoes, followed by celery, bell pepper, and top with the onion rings. Sprinkle with tarragon, paprika, and garlic powder
3In a large sauce pan, brown your ground beef with the dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt, and cumin till beef is no longer pink. Drain well.
4return meat to the pan then pour in the salsa and spaghetti sauce... and add enough water to make the mixture kind of soupy. Taste to check level of seasoning. Adjust if necessary then pour on top of the vegetables - spreading it so it covers the top
5bake uncovered for 1 hour at 375, then lower heat to 300 for the next 15 minutes.
6* If you want, you can top the cassarole with buttered breadcrumbs before baking... tastes good either way.