Caçoila (Portuguese Stewed Beef)
Pork butt can be used instead of the beef rump roast.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 1/2 lb
- beef rump roast, cut into 2-inch chunks (you can use pork butt instead of rump roast)
- 1 to 2 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1 large
- onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2 c
- red wine
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- boiled potatoes, for serving (optional)
- roasted red peppers, for serving (optional)
1One day in advance, rub the crushed red pepper over the beef roast, place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2Layer the onion slices, parsley, garlic, and bay leaf in the bottom of a Dutch oven. Place the meat on top and dot with the butter. Mix together the wine and tomato paste and pour over the meat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook, covered, until the meat is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours, occasionally turning the pieces to keep moist.
3Serve immediately while still hot, with boiled white potatoes and roasted red peppers served alongside, if desired.