kit kat cake
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 35 min
This recipe makes enough for three 8-inch round layers OR two 9-inch layers + 6 cupcakes.
One 18.25-ounce box of chocolate cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 large eggs
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
Find more recipes at goboldwithbutter.com
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
Three 4.5-ounce Giant Kit Kat Bars (you'll need 36 Kit Kat sticks total)
Pink Fondant to make piggies
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and line a cupcake pan with 6 liners (you're going to have 6 cupcakes to munch on along with your cake!)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
3. Scoop the batter into 6 cupcake liners 3/4-full. Divide the remaining batter into the prepared round pans. Bake the cupcakes for about 25 minutes, and bake the cake rounds about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes o
4. When the cake is cool, you're ready to assemble. Place one layer on a serving plate, and tuck strips of waxed paper underneath the sides of the cake.
5. Prepare the frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium, and slowly add milk and vanilla, b
6. Frost the 1st cake layer. Set the 2nd layer on top of the first. Frost the 2nd layer and along the sides of the cake too. Stick Kit Kat's to the sides of the cake, leaving a very small space in between each Kit Kat (1/4-inch). Wrap a bow around th
7. If you refrigerate the cake for a couple of hours or so, it will be much easier to cut and serve. Of course, you'll need to remove the bow just before serving.
*You can certainly use your favorite layer cake recipe for this cake. The doctored-up cake mix recipe that is included here is actually quite good!
*You can also use a yellow cake or your favorite flavor... following the same instructions here for jazzing it up.
*Technically, you can use all of the batter in two 9-inch round pans, but it might make the cake too high to work for this recipe. You don't want the cake to stand higher than the height of the Kit Kat's- or they will not be able to act as a "fence"
Stephanie Atwell MrsAtwell - Jun 24, 2013
This cake Looks SOOO good I gotta try to make it for my boys birthday!
Kim Pontejos kcpont - Aug 2, 2013
Oh no! It looks as though "how to prepare the frosting" in step five got cut off!! Does anyone know the rest of the instructions. I am planning on making this cake very soon. Thanks!!
lydia grey Magikitchen - Aug 22, 2013
5. Prepare the frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium, and slowly add milk and vanilla, beating until smooth. :)
Heidi slessman wigglefish - Sep 30, 2013
6's instructions are cut off too!