Elma Çayi (Turkish Apple Tea)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- apples, washed well and cut into quarters, do not remove the peel, core or seeds (variety and color not specified although red apples were tested)
- orange, flesh of (zest it first and use the zest for garnish)
- piece of orange peel (about 2-3" inch strip)
- stick cinnamon
- whole cloves
- 4 c
- filtered water
- 1 tsp
- rose water, to taste (my addition and optional)
- ice cubes
- fresh mint, for garnish
- orange zest, for garnish
- sugar, to sweeten (if desired)
1Place the apples, oranges, orange peel, cinnamon stick, whole cloves and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2Reduce the heat to LOW and simmer until the apples are very soft, about 30 minutes.
3Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a non-reactive bowl pushing gently with the back of a wooden spoon to extract all the liquid. Stir in the rose water. Set aside to cool briefly about 10 minutes.
4Pour the juice again [through a fine mesh strainer] into the drinking glasses filled with ice cubes. Garnish with fresh mint, orange zest and sweeten to taste.
Makes about 3 (8 ounce) servings.