I based this on an Italian limoncello recipe. I’ve used liters to measure the Liquids because vodka usually is measured by the liter. If this measurement
Throws you, just substitute quart for liter and pint for half a liter. These measurements do not have to be exact.
benefits of elderflower
• Traditionally used as a de-tox, to build the immune system by clearing toxins thru the lymph glands.
• For respiratory problems, elderflower was used to treat asthmatics in the days before “modern” medication; and as an expectorant to clear catarrh.
• To build up “poorly” people (especially children and the elderly) before winter – as coughs and colds and influenza were killers through a cold European winter.
• In spring, elderflower concentrate, also known as elderflower cordial, was used to relieve the symptoms of allergies to pollens etc; to reduce the effects of sinusitis.
• Elderflower tea was used as a blood purifier; and as a tonic or ointment to fade freckles or skin blemishes. Many modern skin tonics still contain elderflowers.
“I find that it is very relaxing. At the end of a long day having a hot elderflower tea (with a slice of ginger or lemon or lime) before bedtime is, for me, a proven recipe for better sleep. And, it is a great alternative to tea or coffee.” - Anne Ashbolt
Many people rave of its affects to soothe a sore throat or “to knock a cold on the head”.
- 12 oz
- elderflowers, rinsed and cleaned
- 3 oz
- fresh lemon balm leaves, rinsed
- peel of three lemons (avoid the bitter white pith)
- 1/2 l
- 2 c
- sugar syrup (use less if you want the final drink to be less sweet)
- 2 c
- 1 c
After 2 weeks, pour liqueur into small, decorative bottles and seal.
To serve,pour a Portion into a small container and chill in the freezer until very cold.
Serve In chilled cordial glasses.