This is my daughter's recipe and definitely a family favorite. The people at her and her husband's work expect this pie every year when the fresh strawberries first come in.
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 3 oz
- strawberry jello (i use a small package sugar-free jello)
- 1 - 1 1/2 pt
- fresh sweetened strawberries (sliced or chopped; sweeten them to your taste, i use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 splenda to sweeten mine)
- 1 or 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- blind-baked deep-dish pie crust (if using a bought crust, follow directions on the package for baking)
- 2 oz
- softened cream cheese (i use fat-free)
- 2 Tbsp
- powdered sugar
1Blind-bake (pre-bake) pie crust as per package or recipe directions, cool pie crust completely. In a small mixing bowl, add sugar and cornstarch, mixing well. In a medium-size saucepan, add water and sugar/cornstarch mixture. Whisk well and bring to a slow boil on top of the stove, whisking occasionally. Boil until mixture becomes clear and thickens. While mixture is cooking, mix room temperature cream cheese and powdered sugar together in a small bowl. Gently spread this mixture over cooled crust. Remove thickened mixture from stove and add strawberry jello, mix well. Add a couple of drops of red food coloring, if desired. Cool slightly. Add strawberries to mixture and pour mixture over the cream cheese mixture in pie shell. Put into the refrigerator and chill thoroughly (several hours)! When ready to serve, top with whipped cream. *NOTE: Some people like their strawberries sliced in their pies and others like them chopped up, it's your preferance.