MAPLE HAZELNUT PIE
Recipe and photo by: www.epicurious.com
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3/4 c
- pure maple syrup (preferably grade b)
- 1/2 c
- packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 c
- light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- (1/2 stick) unsalted buter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- refrigerated pie crust (half of a 15-oz. pkg.)
- 1 large
- egg white, lightly beaten to loosen
- 1 c
- hazelnuts, husked, coarsely chopped (about 5 ounces)
- 3 large
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
1In a medium saucepan, bring maple syrup, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling 1 minute, reducing heat as neded to prevent mixture from boiling over. Remove pan from heat. Add bourbon, then butter; whisk until butter melts. Let cool to lukewarm, whisking occasionally, about 20 minutes.
2Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with nonstick spray. Unroll the pie crust and line the pie pan; crimp edges. Brush crust with enough egg white to coat. Scatter hazelnuts over the top.
3In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until blended. Whisk cooled maple sugar mixture into the egg mixture. Pour mixture over hazelnuts in crust. bake pie in a preheated 350-degree oven until filling is set and slightly puffed, about 50 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
4NOTE: Pie can be made 1 day ahead and kept at room temperature, covered.