Magic Lemon Pie (1952)
As I looked for pictures, I found that it is a recipe from the Eagle Brand Milk 1952 advertising recipe book -- how cool!!
It is also cool because you do not have to pre-cook the filling and you can use any kind of baked pie shell, or non-bake crumb or graham cracker crust. You do need to bake the meringue but only for 15 minutes. It sets up as it cools.
Here ya go!!
- 8 inch baked pie shell, or graham cracker crust
- 1 can(s)
- 15 oz eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c
- lemon juice (fresh, reconstituted, or frozen)
- 1 tsp
- lemon peel, grated fresh or dried
- egg yolks, reserve whites
- room temperature egg whites (reserved from above)
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/4 c
1. Beat egg yolks; whisk in lemon rind, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust.
2. Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; gradually add sugar beating until stiff peaks form but not dry. Spread meringue on top of hot pie, sealing carefully to edge of crust.
4. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool. Chill before serving, if desired.