Lemon Meringue Pie
The pie recipe calls for 2 cups of milk, I usually use 1 cup of evaporated milk and 1 cup of whole milk. This seems to make for a richer, creamier pie.
The meringue recipe is a little more trouble,than what you would normally do, but it is woth it. It holds up better than any other recipe I have used. Just be sure to beat in the sugar really well and donot add the meringue mixture until it is completely cooled or it will flatten you meringue mixture immediately. Brown it in a 375 or 400 degree
Watch to make sure you don't burn it. I have found if you brown the meringue at a higher temp. it holds up longer.
You can make your own pie crust, but I usually just use a good quality frozen one.
You can cook the pie filling directly over the burner or use a double boiler . I usually cook it in a double boiler so it won't stick or scorch so easily.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1st Step of the meringue process:
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- Water (cold)
- Combine these 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat , stirring constantly. Remove from heat the minute the mixture turns translucent in color, this usually happens just as it starts to thicken. Cool
- Pie Filling Ingredients follow:
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- 1/8 tsp
- 4 large
- Egg Yokes
- 2 c
- 1/3 c
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp
- Butter or margarine
- 1 tsp
- Grated Lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Extract
- 2nd Step of the Meringue Process:
- 4 large
- Egg whites
- 3/4 tsp
- Vanilla Extract
- 6 Tbsp
- Beat the 4 egg whites and the 3/4 tsp. of vanilla into soft peaks. Gradually add 6 Tbls. Sugar, 1 Tbls. at a time; beat mixture well after each addition. Combine cooled meringue mixture from Step 1 with this mixture, beating until stiff peaks form.
1Directions for making the pie filling:
. Whisk together the first 3 ingredients in a heavy, non-aluminum medium saucepan. Whisk together the egg yokes, milk, and lemon juice in a bowl; whisk into sugar mixture in pan over medium heat. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Boil 1 or 2 minutes longer or until mixture is good and thick. Remove from heat; stir in butter,lemon rind and vanilla extract. Yield: Enough pie filling for 1 (9-inch) pie. Pour into cooled piecrust.Cover with plastic wrap, placing it directly on the filling. (Proceed immediately to the next step to ensure that the meringue is spread over the pie filling while it is still warm.)
2Remove plastic wrap from pie, and spread meringue evenly over warm pie filling, sealing the edges. (Sealing meringue to the outer edge of crust over a hot filling helps keep the meringue from shrinking after it's cooked). Return to a 375-400 degree oven and cook until the meringue is a golden brown.