Hershey's Cocoa Chocolate Pie
Although I stated the prep time and cook time is 10 minutes for each, I did not include making the meringue and baking until meringue is light golden brown. Add another 10 minutes--- 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to cook your meringue pie.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- hershey's cocoa
- 1/8th tsp
- egg yokes, beaten (save the egg whites for later use)
- 2 c
- whole milk
- 2 Tbsp
- butter (doesn't have to be melted)
- 1 tsp
- 9" deep pie crust, baked (375 to 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes)
- egg white (discard the egg yolk) to be included with the other two egg whites for the meringue.
- 1/4th tsp
- cream of tarter (optional) for making meringue enter stiff peak faster.
- 1/2 c
- sugar (for meringue)
(Sometimes, I pull the bowl out of the microwave oven around the 4th to 5th minute to mix the pie filling very thoroughly with the electric mixer.)
To make meringue, beat the 3 egg whites until stiff (approximately 4 to 5 minutes. (When you begin beating on high speed of mixer, add your 1/4th tsp of Cream of Tarter and then slowly add a tablespoon of sugar at a time until 1/2 cup of sugar is blended.)
Bake in oven @ 375 to 400 degrees for several minutes to 5 minutes, until meringue is light golden brown. Chill in refrigerator for several hours before serving.
For more tips on making meringue, check out my recipe on how to make Coconut Cream Pie. The meringue recipe is more in depth.