ChamoritaMomma's Chocolate Haupia Pie
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 (9-inch)
- unbaked pie shell
- 1 (14 oz) can(s)
- coconut milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 - 1 c
- sugar, depending on sweetness desired
- 1 c
- whole milk
- 1/2 c
- corn starch
- 1 c
- 1/2 - 3/4 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tub
- cool whip topping
- chocolate shaving, for garnish
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crust for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, coconut milk and 3/4 to 1 cup sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Bring coconut mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch.
3. Continue stirring mixture over low heat until thickened.
4. Reserve 1/2 of the coconut mixture. Mix remaining half, while still warm, with the chocolate chips and whisk until completely melted and combine until smooth. Pour into bottom of baked pie shell; smooth with a spoon. Pour the reserved half of coconut mixture on top of chocolate layer and spread. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
5. Stir cool whip a few times and layer on top of pie. Best if refrigerated a few hours or overnight. Slice and serve. If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings.
2**Depending on how "chocolately" you want it, add more or less of the chocolate chips. I prefer it around the amount I have posted.