Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/3 c
- 4-5 Tbsp
- cold water (i used up to 8tb)
- 6 c
- peeled sliced apples
- 3/4 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice (optional we use this when freezing)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- sliced margerine
PASTRY FOR SINGLE CRUST (FOR DOUBLE CRUST PLEASE DOUBLE RECIPE)
APPLE PIE FILLING (OR YOU CAN FREEZE THIS FILLING FOR LATER)
1. Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
4. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
5. Rim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings.
Food processor directions: Prepare as above, except place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, shortening, and salt. Cover and process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal, but a few larger pieces remain. With food processor running, quickly add 3 tablespoons water through feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball.
3If your want to use a crust on top of pie you will want to do the same as the bottom crust but folding remaining dough under bottom layer around edges and crimping it at the edges to seal in filling... Cut a few slits on top if you like you can put egg whites on top of pie (I don't do that) I just sprinkle sugar on top.
4I normally bake 350-375 for about 40-50 min w/ pampered chef ring around the crust till golden brown... I don't like my pies too done :) Enjoy