Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/3 c
- 4-5 Tbsp
- cold water (i used up to 8tb)
- 6 c
- peeled sliced apples
- 3/4 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice (optional we use this when freezing)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- sliced margerine
PASTRY FOR SINGLE CRUST (FOR DOUBLE CRUST PLEASE DOUBLE RECIPE)
APPLE PIE FILLING (OR YOU CAN FREEZE THIS FILLING FOR LATER)
1. Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
4. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
5. Rim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings.
Food processor directions: Prepare as above, except place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, shortening, and salt. Cover and process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal, but a few larger pieces remain. With food processor running, quickly add 3 tablespoons water through feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball.