Ermine Icing for Red Velvet Cake
This is an old-fashioned icing, also called boiled-milk frosting. The results are as light as whipped cream but with much more character. It was the original icing for red velvet cake.
Hints: Your roux should be the consistency of paste. It will require a bit of time and a lot of whisking before you get a really thick paste. In addition to this the paste must be completely cooled before it is added to the other ingredients.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 5 tablespoons/40 grams flour
- 1 cup/235 milliliters whole milk
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup/ 230 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup/200 grams granulated sugar
Pour into a bowl to allow it to cool completely.
Put plastic wrap on the surface to keep a skin from forming.
Continue to beat until the mixture becomes light and fluffy and resembles whipped cream.