Toffee Banana Crumbles
- 8 firm bananas
- 1/4 cup light soft brown sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- chilled heavy cream or sour cream to serve
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- a cast iron skillet
- 4 individual heatproof chef’s rings each about 3 inches in diameter
FOR COCONUT TOPPING:
Trim and cut bananas into 1 1/4 inch lengths. Reserve four of the lengths for the centers of the crumbles, then slice each of the remaining ones in half lengthwise.
Fill each ring to the top with the coconut topping. transfer the skillet to preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes, til crumbles are golden. Remove form oven and slip a fish slice under each ring to lift them out of the pan and onto warmed serving plates.