Pineapple Delight Frozen Trifle
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 medium fresh pineapple, medium cubed
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar or light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 oz or 396 g) can sweet condensed milk
- 2 measures whole milk (use the condensed milk can to measure the milk)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split in half and seeds scraped out
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2. Stir in the condensed milk, egg yolks, and vanilla bean seeds (if you are making yours with vanilla extract, add it to the mixture when it is cooked and just about to be removed from the heat). Whisk the mixture over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until it just starts to thicken. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and use a wood spoon to continue stirring the mixture for about 4-5 minutes, resulting in a creamy and thickened mixture (yet thinner than a typical cake batter). Again, my mixture was cooked on a large burner. If you are using a small burner to cook this mixture, it will take almost double of the amount of time given above. Remove from the heat, transfer custard cream to a glass container, place a sheet of plastic wrap right on the top of the custard cream (touching the custard), and let cool down on a rack (the plastic wrap will prevent a skin from forming on top of the custard). When mixture cools completely, its texture will be quite thick and creamy, similar to a pastry cream.
Assembling the Trifle
1. In a standard-size loaf baking pan, pour in the Chantilly cream in an even layer. Freeze with the pan sitting on a even surface or shelf for about 45 minutes. Remove from the freezer, and pour custard cream on top in an even layer. Freeze for about 45-60 minutes. Then, remove from the freezer, take cinnamon stick out of the pineapple compote, and using a slotted spoon, spoon the cooked pineapple cubes evenly over the dessert, making sure that almost no liquid is spooned onto the loaf pan. Reserve about 1/4 of the liquid in the refrigerator. Cover pan with plastic wrap and freeze trifle for at least 24 hours.
2. Right before serving, unmold frozen trifle and let soften for about 4-5 minutes at room temperature. Drizzle a little bit of the reserved refrigerated pineapple liquid on top of the trifle if desired, decorate as you wish, and slice to serve. Enjoy!