Fresh Cherry Pie
Photos are mine
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 1/2 - 5 c
- cherries, your choice - pitted and sliced in half
- 3/4 - 1 c
- sugar, depending how sweet your cherries are
- 1/8 tsp
- each - vanilla extract & almond extract
- 1/4 c
- minute tapioca
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice or more if cherries are really sweet
- 1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- crust for a double crusted pie - not deep dish pie
4Roll out the top pie crust a little larger than the bottom crust. Place top crust over cherries, fold top dough edges under bottom dough. Flute edges.
I make an egg wash with one egg and a little water, and with a pastry brush, brush the crust and sprinkle with sugar...totally optional. Cut some slits in the top of crust.
5Cover edges of crust with 2 to 3 strips of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until golden and juice begins bubbling through the slits in the crust. I then sprinkle with more sugar. ( Optional) I like how it looks with the sugar...Lol!