Coconut Cream Pie
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup of cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 10 ounce bag of frozen coconut, thawed
- 9-inch baked pie shell, cooled
- ¼ cup toasted coconut, optional
1In a blender, add the coconut milk, cream and egg yolks. Blend for a few seconds until combined.
2Add the cornstarch to the blender mixture and blend for a few seconds more.
3Pour mixture into a 2 quart saucepan; add the sugar and salt and whisk together to combine.
4Cook/whisk mixture over medium-high heat; stirring constantly until mixture starts to thicken and boil. (This takes about 10 minutes). After mixture begins to boil, boil and whisk/stir for 1 minute.
6Cool the pie completely on a rack at room temperature before chilling, or adding any whipped cream. This takes approximately 2 hours.