Featured Pinch Tips Video
- extra large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar increase to 1/2 if air temperature is humid
- 1 dash(es)
- kosher salt
- 1 1.2 c
- granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- squares of bittersweet or semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c
- toasted blanched almonds(optional)
11. Preheat oven to 200*F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
22. Use an electric or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and a large pinch of salt on medium speed until frothy. Add 1 cup of sugar and raise the speed to high until eggs form very stiff peaks. Whisk in the vanilla and fold in the remaining sugar.
33. Take large spoon and drop large 3" circle of mixture, press down center to form a well. Bake for 2 hours or until the meringues are dry and crisp but not browned. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to sit in the oven for 4 hours or overnight.
5Pour condensed milk and chocolate into a double boiler with the water boiling. This can be done in a saucepan just watch is carefully. If desired add 1/2 cup of toasted, blanched almonds if desired. This may be store and reconstituted with a few tablespoons of water over low heat.