Strawberries with Spanish Sherry
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 c
- fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (if small keep whole or cut larger strawberries in half)
- 2 c
- 3/4 c
- whole cloves
- small cinnamon stick
- vanilla bean, split or about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- spanish sherry vinegar or fino sherry, to taste (not cooking sherry!)
- 1 tsp
- orange zest, finely grated (original recipe specifies lemon zest)
- 2 c
- whole milk plain yogurt, drained
- 1/2 tsp
- rosewater, to taste
- orange zest, for garnish
1Set the washed strawberries [singly] in a non-reactive serving bowl.
2Place the water and sugar in a pot; add the cloves, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean (note: if using vanilla paste or extract see Step #4).
3Bring the mixture to a boil and then boil for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add the Spanish sherry vinegar, bring back to a boil and boil another 1 minute.
4Move the simple syrup off the burner and stir in the orange zest and if using vanilla paste or extract add it, too. Let the flavors infuse for about 10 minutes then taste test. I liked the flavor best sweet with subtle acidity from the Sherry vinegar.
5Pour the simply syrup over the strawberries so that the *syrup covers most of the fruit. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
*You will probably have extra simple syrup which can be used in lemonade, mixed with club soda, stirred into iced tea, etc.
6Stir the rosewater into the plain yogurt. Just before serving spoon the yogurt into individual dessert dishes. Spoon some of the infused strawberries and a little bit of the syrup over the yogurt. Garnish with orange zest.