Belle Melange (a beautiful mess)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- loaf french bread or baguette with the crust, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb
- brown sugar, firmly packed (light or dark your preference, i like the dark)
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- large baking apples, (i use granny smith and honeycrisp)
- 8 oz
- cream cheese (cold and chopped)
- 1 c
- whipping cream (optional)
- 1 c
- chopped peacans or walnuts (optional)
1Preheat the oven to 350, and butter a 13x9 baking dish
2Melt the stick of butter in a medium sauce pan, add the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly
3Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown and crisp. Remove the bread and turn the oven up to 400
4Combined the sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
5In a very large bowl, combine the apples, nuts, cream cheese, and toasted bread cubes. Drizzle with sugar syrup and stir to evenly distribute.
6Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes stirring 2-3 times.
7Then bake an additional 5 minutes without stirring, until the top is golden brown and crusty, and most of the liquid is gone. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.