APRIL FOOLS: Chicken Not - Pie
- (4 1/2-inch) aluminum foil potpie tin
- refrigerated piecrust (most 15-ounce packages contain 2 crusts, enough for 6 of our pies)
- aluminum foil
- egg (makes enough for 6 pies)
- 2 Tbsp
- (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla or white-chocolate pudding (1 box makes enough for 3 pies)
- yellow and 2 orange starburst candies
- green chewy jolly rancher candy or green tootsie roll candy (we found the green starburst candies to be too pale)
- banana (makes enough for 6 pies)
- 1 to 2
- dried apple rings or a 4-ounce bar of white chocolate (1 bar is enough for 6 pies)
Heat the oven to 450°. Unroll or unfold a piecrust on your work surface. Using the upside-down potpie tin as a guide, cut a circle of dough about 1/2 inch larger than the tin. (If you're making more than one potpie, simply cut another circle from the dough. Reroll the scraps to cut out a third.) Crumple a piece of aluminum foil into a 1 1/2-inch ball and set it in the potpie tin. Cover it with a layer of foil to create a smooth mound, then lay the circle of dough on top.
Prepare the pudding according to the package directions and refrigerate until serving time.
To make the Starburst or Tootsie Roll candies easier to work with, place them unwrapped on a paper plate and warm them in the microwave just until they're slightly softened, about 12 to 15 seconds. (The Jolly Rancher candies will soften from the warmth of your hands.) Once you've shaped them, lay the candies on waxed paper or a paper plate, set apart from each other so they won't stick together
Just before serving time, spoon about 2/3 cup of the pudding into the pie tin.