- parchment paper for lining 2 cake pans
- cooking spray or crisco shortening for coating cake pans
- 2 Tbsp
- flour (for dusting cake pans)
- 14 oz
- frozen strawberries
- 3/4 c
- skim milk or 2% milk (i used skim and the batter seems much lighter, softer.
- egg whites (room temperature)
- 2 tsp
- 2 1/4 c
- cake flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 c
- sugar (sifted)
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 stick
- butter(sliced in tbls sections ) softened
- 15 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 3 c
- confectioners' sugar
- 2 pkg
- 8oz cream cheese
- reserved strawberry pulp
- fresh strawberries slices for layered center of cake
Spray 2 9" cake pans with cooking spray.(or grease by hand)
Line bottoms with parchment paper and spray again.
Dust each with about 1 tbls flour. (tap gently on upside down pans with hands over sink to remove excess flour.)
Mash berries through a fine strainer thoroughly until you have a dry pulp.
(save pulp for use in frosting)
(you will have extra juice probably..but I used the rest to decorate top of the cake. OPTIONAL)
Whisk in vanilla and egg whites
Add butter, 1 piece at a time until incorporated.(will be crumbly)
Add half of milk/strawberry juice mixture, increase speed to medium-high, and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Reduce speed to medium-low, add remaining milk mixture, and beat until incorporated and fluffy.
Cool cake in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Remove cake from pans, discarding parchment, and cool completely on racks, about 2 hours.
Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.
Add reserved strawberry pulp and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.