SPRING BERRY CAKE
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 box
- white cake mix plus ingredients to prepare as directed on package (eggs, oil, water)
- 16 oz
- frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed (with juice) and divided
- 1 pkg
- strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1/2 c
- water, boiling
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c
- powdered sugar
- container whipped topping, thawed
- fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1Prepare white cake as directed on package for a 9"x13" pan. Let cool.
2In food processor or blender, puree strawberries until almost smooth.
3Place a large wire mesh strainer over a bowl; pour berries into strainer and let drain, pressing and stirring as needed, to produce 1/2 cup of juice. Set pulp aside, temporarily.
4To the 1/2 cup of juice, add 1/2 cup water; bring to boil in microwave or in small saucepan on stove.
5Pour powdered gelatin into medium bowl, add boiling liquid and stir until thoroughly dissolved; add 1 cup puree/pulp and mix well.
7Place cake in refrigerator while preparing frosting.
8Beat cream cheese until fluffy; beat in 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
10Add 1/2 remaining strawberry puree/pulp and mix well.
11Set mixer aside; using spatula, gently fold in remaining puree/pulp and reminder of whipped topping.