Death by Caffeine (Mocha Trifle)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 6 c
- sponge cake
- 1 c
- strong coffee or espresso, cooled
- 16 oz
- whipped cream topping (6 cups)
- 1/4 c
- coffee liqueur
- 2 Tbsp
- chocolate liqueur
- 12 oz
- chocolate yogurt
- 3/4 c
- mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 c
- chopped pecans
1Cut the sponge cake into half inch cubes (doesn't have to be perfect).
Place the cake cubes in a large bowl and pour the cooled coffee evenly over the cubes. Toss to distribute and coat the cubes.
2Combine the dairy topping, yogurt, and liqueurs in another bowl. Set aside.
3In a small bowl toss the chips and the nuts. Set aside.
4To assemble the trifle use a trifle bowl or any pretty bowl(see-through is best) that will hold about 12 cups.
5Place 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of the bowl.
Top that with 1/3 of the whipped topping mixture.
Sprinkle 1/3 of the chip and nut mixture over that.
6Repeat the layers two more times.
7Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
Garnish with chocolate curls or chocolate covered espresso beans, more mini chocolate chips, or even fresh berries.
1) You can make your own sponge cake if you like, or simply buy one from the bakery or store. If you can't find one, you can use the bar cake or little dessert cups used for strawberry shortcake (it will take 10 of the little cups to make 6c. cut up)
2) Make your own sweetened whipped cream with 3 c. chilled whipping cream, beat to soft peaks, then gradually beat in 1/2 c. sugar, until sugar is dissolved (rub a bit between your fingers). Or use something like Cool Whip REAL Whipped Cream.
3) If you can't find chocolate yogurt use vanilla, and mix in 2 T. of chocolate sauce or syrup.
4) Liqueurs used were Starbucks Cappuccino (coffee), and Godiva (chocolate). I like Tia Maria, Kahlua, and Bailey's brands liqueurs, but whatever you have will work.
5) You can make this dessert even more elegant by layering in individual dessert dishes.