Featured Pinch Tips Video
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1-3/4-ounce package powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 recipe coconut sugar, recipe below
1Line a 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of the pan. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a 1-1/2-quart heavy saucepan combine the 1 cup sugar and the corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan (see How to Avoid Gritty Candy, below). Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
3. Cook over medium heat (mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface), stirring occasionally, until the thermometer registers 280 degree F, (soft-crack stage) about 7 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine coconut milk, water, pectin, and baking soda. (Mixture will be foamy.) Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. This should take about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; set saucepan aside.
5. When sugar mixture in first saucepan has reached soft-crack stage, remove the saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer. Return pectin mixture to boiling. Gradually pour the hot sugar mixture in a thin stream into the boiling pectin mixture, stirring constantly (this step should take 1 to 2 minutes). Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute more.
6. Remove saucepan from heat. Pour candy mixture into prepared pan. Let stand about 2 hours or until firm.
7. When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan. Use a wet knife to cut candy into about 3/4-inch squares. Roll squares in Coconut Sugar. Store loosely covered. Makes about 45 pieces.
Coconut Sugar:Place 1/2 cup toasted coconut in a food processor. Cover and process until very finely ground. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Store in an airtight container. Makes 1/2 cup.
Pink Grapefruit Gumdrops:Prepare as directed above except omit the coconut milk and the 1/4 cup water. Replace with 3/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice. After combining both mixtures, stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated grapefruit peel. Tint with one drop of red food coloring. Roll in Coconut Sugar, as directed.