ALINE'S favorite Wet Coconut Cake
April Hatmaker @Aprilhatmaker
This was my mamaw Aline's favorite, my mom made it every time they were coming in to visit. OR for any dinner event she was coming to, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, her birthday especially. My mamaw is gone now 9 years from us, its been hard since it was sudden. I Miss her so very much, But enjoy remembering her in the things she loved most. Like Yard sales, shopping, flower gardens, most of all her family, company. This cake takes me to great memories, and my taste buds enjoy the trip as well. I hope you love it as much as my family has, does.
- 1 can(s)
- can of cream of coconut : can be found ususally around the mixed drink area/items in your store along with the coconut milk or in your baking section depending on your store.
- 1 can(s)
- can of coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 box
- box white cake mix any brand.
- 1, 1/2 c
- sweetened coconut flakes or more to your liking, 1/2 cup is if you desire to toast some for the top accent.
- 1 pkg
- thawed whipped topping
- 1/ plastic straw to make holes in cake.
- mixing bowl, whisk, spatula/spoon
- electric, or stand mixer : if you desire to use
- 2 Tbsp
- coconut extract or less as you desire. i find 2 is perfect for our liking.
- 1 c
- whipped fluffy cake frosting, white : note ****(if you desire the sweeter frosting topping only) you do not need this one to make the regular wet coconut cake)*****
- cap of vanilla extract: or to your liking.
1Make cake to box directions, I like to add one cap full of vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons coconut. BUT you can use just the vanilla or almond extract or both to the cake batter.
2after cake is done and cooled, use straw (what we always used) or use a kabob stick etc. Take the straw, poke it, make holes all over cake. In mixing bowl add the can of cream of coconut, coconut milk mix well with wisk. or electric beater, stand mixer which ever you are using or prefer to use. ****Remember to reserve about 3 tbsps or up to 1/4 of a cup, as you desire of this mixture to add in for topping.
Then proceed to pour this mixture SLOWLY over the cake evenly ensuring it soaks in every part of the cake. I then take a spatula or spoon and scoop up any leftover thats near sides, re pour over cake, YOU need to allow time to soak in, 5/10 mins at least. to ensure its all soaked in. After all its called a WET COCONUT CAKE> :)
3Once the milk mixture has soaked in well proceed to use the Reserved amount of coconut cream/milk mixture, add well with the whipped topping, and a half cup of sweetened coconut to a cup to your desire, mix this well with wisk or spoon, or whatever your using. Then proceed to spoon onto cake in a even layer and to top and sides. lastly top the cake with the toasted sweetened coconut flakes... EAT, ENJOY!!!!
4**** ( IF YOU DESIRE A SWEETER TOPPING ADD the 1 cup of whipped fluffy white frosting) we like it a bit sweeter sometimes so we tried diff things, liked adding this, but you DO NOT HAVE TO****
This cake gets better over time, and has to be covered, refrigerated to keep. Will last a few days if kept properly, BUT there is not many left overs when i make this cake to last that long.
again this was my grandmothers favorite cake ever. so i wanted to share with all of you.