This recipe came from an old file I had on my computer.
Hazelnut is one of my most favorite flavors! I just had to spread the word!! This includes a recipe for
'HAZELNUT FROSTING' to go with the torte.
1. Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer for a minute until they turn lemon colored. Add nuts and bread crumbs, and mix well.
22. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake or torte pans, line bottom with greased parchment or waxed paper. Grease top of paper.
33. Beat egg whites until soft-peak stage. Stir about a quarter of the egg white foam into the batter to lighten consistency (you may need to add a little milk as well if too thick). Gently fold in the rest of the foam.
44. Divide batter into two cake pans. Bake at 375F degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until firm but not dry. Check tortes very gently by touching top after 35 minutes without shaking the oven or pans. If they feel firm and spring back and sides begin to pull away from cake pans, the tortes are done. Cool for 15 minutes then remove from pans. Strip off paper and cool completely on wire racks. Trim off any burnt parts and trim top flat if domed.
55. Place one torte layer on serving plate, spread with little less than half the frosting. Cover with second torte layer and spread a very thin layer of frosting over top and sides. Chill 15 minutes. Spread remaining frosting over sides and top. Decorate torte as you wish or simply add hazelnut halves around rim on top. Chill for several hours before serving.
6***Keeps well for a week in refrigerator. Develops its flavor best after two days.
7HAZELNUT FROSTING PROCEDURE:
1. Cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add rum or Brandy.
82. Beat eggs with sugar in top half of a double boiler, place it over steam on bottom half. Beat continuously until mixture thickens to the consistency of honey, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
93. Blend the two mixes and stir in hazelnut. Stir until uniform. Use frosting when cooled to room temperature.
Create bakery-quality cupcakes, cakes, and cookies at home by creating beautiful rosettes. What You'll NeedRoyal icingGel food colors for rosettes and leavesPiping bagWilton 21 star tipWilton 352 leaf tip1. Make...