Toasted Butter Pecan Coconut Pound Cake w/Frosting
Rose Mary Mogan
She loves pecan pie, & I have a recipe in my cookbook that is her absolute favorite, but I wanted the cake to be one she would remember for years to come.
Toasting the pecans added the extra punch in flavor that the cake needed, & toasting the coconut, really gave the cake an impressive presentation.
It was moist, full of flavor,& not too sweet, but the frosting with the toasted pecans complimented the sweetness
of the cake. It is worth ALL THE TIME NEEDED TO CREATE A WINNER.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- butter, softened to room temperature
- 12 large
- eggs, separated and room temperature
- 1 1/2 c
- white sugar
- 2 c
- brown suar, firmly packed
- 4 c
- all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla bean paste ( or vanilla extract)
- 1 Tbsp
- butter pecan flavoring or butter flavoring
- 1 small
- box butterscotch pudding mix (3.5 oz) (i used cook & serve)
- 1 c
- sour cream (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 c
- unsweetened coconut ( i used organic finely grated)
- 3 c
- toasted pecan halves divided & chopped)
- 1 lb
- box powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 stick
- butter, softened
- 1 c
- chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tsp
- butter pecan flavoring (or butter flavoring)
- 1 tsp
- vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1/2-3/4 c
- toasted unsweetened coconut (use larger amount to do top & sides)
- extra pecan halves for garnishing top of cake
- 2-3 Tbsp
- milk to reach desired spreading consistency
- 1 pkg
- 8 oz. cream cheese, (softened to room temperature)
TOASTED BUTTER PECAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1PLEASE NOTE: These were my notes for this cake. This cake will require some time & patience to make, but your family and friends will thank you for your efforts. I baked this cake a day in advance, then took it to Ohio, and made the frosting and put it all together. If you do Not have a really large bundt pan you may need to bake it in two smaller ones. The frosting is enough for one large cake, or make one and a half times the frosting recipe for a layer cake or if you make two smaller ones. I USED A 30 CUP CAPACITY BUNDT PAN TO MAKE THIS CAKE.
13Fold egg whites into the cake batter with the spatula or spoon, by going from top of batter to bottom of pan all the while gradually turning to bowl as you go to get the egg white to mix with the batter. REMEMBER YOU ARE INCORPORATING AIR INTO THE CAKE BATTER TO HELP IT TO RISE AND MAKE IT LIGHTER, SO FOLDING IS VERY IMPORTANT.
15Add cake batter and bake in 325 degrees F. oven for 1 hour & 20 minutes or 1 hour and 30 minutes till tooth pick inserted into cake comes out clean. Add additional minutes in 5 to 10 minutes intervals till cake is done.
Let cake sit in pan for 10 minutes till cake pulls away from sides of cake pan, then invert onto a baking rack to cool completely, and transfer to a serving platter.
16To make the frosting cream the butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar together till creamy then all the other ingredients EXCEPT for milk, and beat to blend. Then add the milk one tablespoon at a time, and blend together till desired spreading consistency is reached. This is enough frosting to frost 1 large pound cake, Make 1 1/2 times the recipe if you bake in two separate pans. Frost and garnish cake as desired.