Pineapple Sunshine Cake
This cake is very light and perfect for a picnic on a hot day.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- well-beaten egg yolks
- 1 c
- 2 c
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 c
- whipped cream
- egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 10 inch angel food cake
- pineapple tidbits for garnish, drained
- marachino cherries for garnish
- additional whipped cream for garnish
1Soften gelatin in cold water.
2Combine egg yolks, sugar, and milk. Mix well. Cook in top of double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly until spoon is coated.
3Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
5Stir in crushed pineapple. Fold in whipped cream and egg whites.
6Remove the crust from the angel food cake and slice in 1/2 inch thick slices.
7Layer the cake and custard in a 13 x 9 x 2 pan starting with the cake and alternating with the custard until both have been used all up.
8Chill until set.
9Garnish with additional whipped cream, pineapple tidbits and cherries.