Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, three quarters sticks
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, regular, not natural
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- one large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- chocolate frosting, recipe follows
- fleur de sel or chopped salted peanuts for sprinkling, optional
Beat in egg for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix in the vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
put the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside.
Mix the cream, butter, corn syrup and salt in a small pan and heat over medium heat until very hot but not boiling, about four minutes.
Quickly pour the hot cream mixture over the chopped chocolate. Let stand for 5 to 7 minutes to melt the chocolate, then whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. The frosting will keep for up to three days, refrigerated, in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before using