Norma's Easy Easter Bonnet
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- (15.25 ounce) box of super moist lemon cake mix for the top part of the cake.
- (18.25 ounce) box of strawberry surpreme cake mix for the bottom part of the cake.
- butter cream icing:
- 1/2 c
- solid vegetable shortening (i used crisco)
- 1/2 c
- (1/2 stick) butter or margarine at room temperature
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 4 c
- (approx. 1 lb.) sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- decoration: (i found all these at a craft store).
- 0.21 ounce box's of wilton icing leaves
- .53 ounce box's of wilton icing pink posies
- 16 ounce box of icing bunny decorations
- large ready made bow
- 21 inch ribbon of choice (cut to fit cake)
1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2Greese and flour a 14 inch round cake pan and a medium size oven proof bowl and set aside.
3Mix cake mix's according to directions and fill the round pan half full and the bowl about 2 inches from the rim. (you will have extra cake mix left) I made cup cakes with it.
4Place pan and bowl in oven on center rack and bake until golden brown or when a wooded toothpick pushed down in the center of cake comes out clean. (the round cake will be done before the cake in the bowl)
5Remove round cake from oven and place on a wire rack to completely cool. After testing cake in the bowl; remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
6When round cake is completely cool remove from pan onto a very large platter or a large piece of cardboard covered with foil.
7Meanwhile mix icing in mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
8Cover round cake with a thin layer of icing and place the bowl cake in the center of it and cover with icing also.
9(Since I'm not good at making my icing smooth when covering cakes; I used a flower decorating tip to cover the cake. This to me is also an easy way to cover any cracks that may accure).
10Decorate as desired or use my pattern. HAPPY EASTER!