Cinnamon Chocolate Apricot Coffee Cake
Recipe originally from the Cake Doctor book. Picture from the internet.
- vegetable oil spray for misting the pan and flour for dusting the pan.
- 1 pkg
- 18.25 ounces plain white cake mix
- 3/4 c
- finely chopped dried apricots or dried cherries
- 1/2 c
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 pkg
- 3.4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil, such as canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 4 large
- 2 tsp
- confectioners' sugar
Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scrapping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look thick and smooth. Pour two-thirds of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with the rubber spatula. Spoon the filling over the third of the batter over the filling and smooth it out with the rubber spatula.
Place the pan in the oven.
Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a rack to complete cooling. Or transfer the cake to a serving platter to slice and eat while still warm. Sift the confectioners sugar over the top for garnish.
Or freeze it, wrapped in foil for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight on the counter before serving.