Cherry Coffee Cake
Note: When adding certain pie fillings, I add an additional ingredient to filling, enhancing the flavor. Mixing filling and ingredient(s) together before spooning pie filling into batter:
* Apple pie filling, add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 tsp. brown sugar
* Cherry pie filling, add 1 tsp. almond extract
* Raspberry pie filling, add ½ tsp. vanilla
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 box
- (16.5 oz.) duncan hines cake mix, classic white
- 1/4 c
- crisco oil
- 1/2 c
- 1 can(s)
- (21 oz.) can pie filling (apple, blueberry, cherry, raspberry, strawberry etc.)
- 7 oz
- odense pure almond paste, opt.
- 1/2 c
- sliced almonds, opt.
- 2 c
- powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a Sheet Pan with Parchment Paper. Put cake mix, oil, eggs, and water into mixing bowl; stir until blended (about 2 minutes); scrape sides and spread batter evenly.
2Spoon pie filling into batter; use a wooden spoon to fold into batter just enough to create marbled effect.
3Optional: Cut the almond paste into small ¼ inch pieces. Chop almonds, sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
4Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
5Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes on Cooling Rack. Lift up the Parchment Paper to remove the Sheet Pan. Cool 10 more minutes on counter.
Combine powdered sugar, milk and ½ tsp. vanilla in bowl and mix until smooth with whisk. Drizzle glaze on the cake.
7Allow glaze to dry before cutting evenly into 16 slices.