ANGEL FOOD CAKE
|Categories:||Cakes, For Kids, Healthy|
|Keywords:||eggs, angel food cake|
|1 1/2 tsp||cream of tartar|
|1 1/3 c||superfine sugar|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1 c||cake flour (not self-rising)|
Pinched by clemetis, and 120 more.
- Grocery List
DirectionsHeat oven to 350 degrees F.- Using an egg separator, separate one of the eggs into a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Then transfer egg white to a large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining eggs (this keeps any yolk from accidentally getting into all your whites).
- Discard yolks.
- Let egg whites warm to room temperature.
- Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites.- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually beat in superfine sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff but glossy peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla extract.- Fold flour into egg whites in two additions, until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
*VARIATION for a CHOCOLATE and VANILLA MARBLED ANGEL FOOD CAKE*
- Follow directions above through step 3.
- Then remove half of the batter to a medium-size bowl.
- Reduce flour to 3/4 cup.
- Fold 1/2 cup of the flour into the batter in one of the bowls.
- Sift 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and the remaining 1/4 cup flour over the second half of the batter in the other bowl and fold in both.
- Spoon batters alternately into a 10-inch tube pan.
- Swirl together with a knife for a marbled effect.
- Bake and cool as directed in step 5.- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, until top has risen very high and is lightly browned and cracked.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert onto baking sheet or neck of bottle.
- Cool completely.