Nuts About French Toast (TNT)
innkeepers guests keep requesting!
I've made this many times. It's great for brunch. Everyone loves it.
- 12 ounces italian bread -- cut into 1" thick slices
- 8 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half or light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter -- softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark colored corn syrup
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans -- walnuts, hickory or hazelnuts
overlapping as needed
half, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly pour egg mixture evenly over
bread. Press down lightly with large spoon. Cover and chill in the
refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
and corn syrup. Stir in nuts. Spoon the topping in small mounds over the
bread in baking dish. Place baking dish in a 15 x10" baking pan (mixture
golden. Let stand 15 minutes. Serves 10-12