I found that this bread has a very hard crust when first baked (it's very difficult to cut). It needs to be sealed in a gallon plastic bag or in an old bread bag overnight. The next day the crust is softened and now easily cut.
This bread stores on the countertop for quite a while. The alcohol and honey must help it keep well.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 c
- boiling water
- 3/4 c
- 1 c
- sugar (part or all can be brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp
- 4 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1-2 tsp
- 1/4 c
1. Hot coffee can be used as part or all of the liquid.
2. Anise seeds can be steeped in the water and strained out.
3. The water can be decreased to one cup and add 1/4 c. melted butter and 1 large egg.
4. 1 c. of chopped, dried fruits and/or nuts can be added.