Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- cooked plain shrimp ( i like using the bigger ones and cutting them up in 1/2)
- 1/2 pkg
- imitation crabmeat (the kind you can shred, makes it much easier)
- limes, juiced (fresh is best)
- white onion, minced
- roma tomatoes, chopped
- cucumber, chopped (you can either peel it prior or leave skin on. i personally prefer to peel cucumber)
- cilantro, fresh chopped fine. (i tend to use about 1/2 a bushel. i don't like using most the stem/only use the top part.)
- 1 or more
- jalapeno peppers, (seeded or not seeded) it's your choice depending on how much heat you want. chop fine.
- avocado (optional) i normally don't add them to mine.
- tapatio & ketchup (optional, makes more of a shrimp cocktail taste) i normally will only do this in my own serving & add a tiny bit at a time till i get the desired taste.
- 1-2 bag(s)
- tortilla chips
1I like to get fresh (from deli) cooked shrimp, the larger ones. I tend to cut them in 1/2 easier to dip them later with chips and more bit size. You could leave them whole OR use baby cooked shrimp as well. Shred crab meat and mix together in a LARGE mixing type bowl.
2Roll your limes on counter in the palm of your hand to make it easier to juice. I like to get the limes w/ thinner skin and are a bit shiny, I try to avoid the ones that are really green and harder skin. Squeeze juice over the shrimp/crab. Depending on the how juicy the limes are I use approx 5-6. I like to have at least about 1/4 of the shrimp/crab to have about that much juice covering them. The more juice the more juice you will have in the mix, you can always use less if you prefer. It's a personal choice, but that is how I was taught to make it.
Optional Ingredients, Advocado & Jalapeno (I seed and chop them up)
3Add remaining ingredients toss good. Cover & chill in fridge till time to serve. Give it at least a good hour or so to chill. The longer you let it chill the better so the flavors have time to mingle :)
If you would like it to be more like a Shrimp Cocktail. Add Tapatio & Ketchup to the mix it gives it a nice spicy & tangy flavor. I will just add a little at a time and taste before adding more. It's easier to use a little and be able to add more than adding too much.
Goes well with dipping with Tortilla chips, On top of a Tostada. I love making this when we grill Carne Asada. Makes a great side dish as well for it. I also take this to parties and have always got a lot of compliments.