Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 long slim loaves crusty bread (baguettes) about 2 1/2 inches in diameter
- 1 lb. ground chuck, not leaner beef, see note below
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce, tamari, or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 to 6 scallions, white and light green parts only
Mix together meat, soy sauce, or tamari, brown sugar, and scallions in large bowl with your hands. Knead thoroughly til you have a fine paste. Make 36 meatballs about the size of a walnut. Put one in the middle of each bread slice, pressing down slightly.
Avoid extra lean ground beef. The meatballs won’t hold together and will dry out. don’t use anything leaner than 85 percent. Add a rounded teaspoon of brown sugar if you use regular soy sauce instead of dark soy sauce. Kids love to shape the little meatballs, and like adults, they are fascinated by how each meatball and bread slice glue together.